Public Liability Insurance for Artists

Cover against claims made against you in the event of any accidents you cause that result in property damage or personal injury.

Public Liability Insurance for Artists

Cover against claims made against you in the event of any accidents you cause that result in property damage or personal injury.

Whether it’s in a studio or at a busy exhibition, artists regularly interact with members of the public.

While the primary focus is on creation and expression, the potential for unexpected incidents is ever-present. Whether it's a spilled paint pot on a visitor's clothing or an accidental trip over a sculpture, Public Liability insurance can offer protection in the event of a claim being made against you.

Shield icon

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Public Liability insurance can protect artists against claims made by visitors or third parties for injuries or property damage that might occur in your studio, workshop or during exhibitions.

Whether you're showcasing your work in a gallery, hosting an open studio event or setting up at an art fair, this cover means you're shielded from potential financial repercussions following an accident.

Why Artists Might Need Public Liability Insurance

While Public Liability insurance isn’t a legal requirement, artists should consider protection against certain risks associated with their work. These risks include:

Purple tick shield icon

Varied interaction points

Artists often engage with the public in varied settings, from studio visits to art fairs. Each different interaction point carries its own set of risks that can be mitigated by a public liability insurance policy.

Purple tick shield icon

Studio equipment and tools

Beyond artworks, your studio houses tools and equipment that can pose risks to visitors. Whether it's a tripping hazard or a curious visitor handling tools, accidents can happen.

Purple tick shield icon

Protecting your reputation

In the art world, reputation is paramount. Addressing any claims promptly and professionally means you maintain trust with patrons and peers.

Purple tick shield icon

Financial security and peace of mind

Defending against liability claims can be costly as beyond potential compensation, there are also legal fees to consider. Public Liability insurance provides cover so such costs don't disrupt your artistic pursuits.

Why Choose Mode Insurance?

Great art is a delicate balance of passion, expression and interaction. At Mode Insurance, we understand the unique challenges and pressures of showcasing your work and engaging with an audience.

Our tailored policies provide cover so that every visitor, every showcase and every artistic interaction can be covered.

Insurance to suit you


Up to £50k equipment cover

Insure the tools of your trade, as well as hired-in equipment.

Project-by-project Public Liability insurance

Get PLI for £84 a year or choose a shorter term to suit you.


Be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance.

What Other Insurance Should Artists Consider?

As well as Public Liability insurance, artists might also need:

Equipment Insurance

Protect all of your artistic equipment against accidental damage, loss or theft.

We provide up to £50k of technical/portable equipment cover, so if anything happened to your essential equipment you can quickly get it repaired or replaced with minimum downtime to your business.

At Mode Insurance our Equipment insurance starts from just £54 a year, including Insurance Premium Tax (IPT).

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Your art can be open to interpretation, but sometimes misunderstandings or dissatisfaction can lead to claims. This cover can protect your reputation as well as your finances.

Professional Indemnity insurance can offer protection against claims of negligence, errors or omissions in the services or artworks you provide.

Product Liability Insurance

If you offer artworks, paintings, photographs, illustrations or any other tangible products to clients, this coverage can mean you're protected against claims of defects or harm they may cause.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

If you employ anyone then you are legally required to have at least £5m of Employers’ Liability cover in place, but most insurers will provide £10,000,000 as standard.

This can protect against claims from employees related to injuries or illnesses sustained while working for you.

Choose your cover and start your quote now


Public Liability insurance from £84 a year for £1m cover

Or choose your own cover limit of £2m, £3m or £5m.


Up to £50k all-risk technical and portable equipment cover

Covered in the UK & EU as standard or increase cover to worldwide.


Professional Indemnity - be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance with either a £100,000 or £250,000 limit.


Up to £50k cover for equipment that doesn’t leave your property

Protect the contents of your business and other technical equipment that doesn’t leave your property.


Employers’ Liability cover for up to 3 PAYE employees

Our Employers’ Liability cover provides £10,000,000 of cover.

Public Liability Insurance for Artists FAQs

Below we have listed the most common questions we get from artists about Public Liability insurance. For more information, read our guide: Public Liability Insurance: Everything You Need to Know

FAQs icon

Do I need Public Liability insurance?

Whether you need Public Liability insurance depends on the nature of your business. It's not a legal requirement, but it's particularly important if your business activities involve interaction with clients, customers or members of the public. This could be as simple as working from a coffee shop, all the way to working in a large stadium or event space.

FAQs icon

Do I need Public Liability insurance if I work from home?

Even if you work from home, Public Liability insurance can provide welcome peace of mind.

If clients or customers visit your home for business purposes, or if you visit their place of work, this insurance can protect you against any accidents or damages that may occur. A claim could be brought against you and your business when simply working from your local coffee shop.

FAQs icon

How much Public Liability insurance cover do I need?

The amount of coverage you need depends on your business type, size and the specific risks involved. Typically, businesses opt for cover ranging from £1 million to £5 million, but it's best to assess your individual business needs.

You may find a minimum coverage amount specified in a contract that you are looking to secure as many other businesses, venues or local authorities will stipulate the amount of Public Liability insurance you need.

FAQs icon

How to get Public Liability insurance?

With Mode Insurance you can get a quote and buy your cover online in a matter of minutes. Start your quote now.

FAQs icon

Is Public Liability insurance a legal requirement?

No, Public Liability insurance is not a legal requirement for most businesses in the UK. However, it is often recommended due to the financial protection it offers against claims from the public.

You may also find that Public Liability insurance is required by some clients, suppliers and partners before you work with them.

FAQs icon

Is Public Liability insurance tax deductible?

Yes, Public Liability insurance is typically tax deductible as a business expense. This means the cost can be offset against your business's taxable profits.

It is important to remember that most insurance policies are not subject to VAT as Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) is applied.

We recommend speaking to your accountant about this if you have more questions.

FAQs icon

Does Public Liability insurance cover damage to a client's property?

Yes, Public Liability insurance typically covers accidental damage to a client's property caused by your business activities, offering financial protection against such claims.

Some exclusions do apply so we always recommend you check your policy documents for more information.

FAQs icon

What is the difference between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance?

Public Liability insurance covers injury or damage to third parties and their property, while Professional Indemnity insurance protects against claims of professional negligence or poor advice.

FAQs icon

Can I get Public Liability insurance for one day?

Yes, one day Public Liability insurance is becoming increasingly popular and most businesses can obtain cover specifically for one day. This is ideal for short-term events like workshops, pop-up shops or a shoot you are organising.

This is great for budgeting and charging your clients as you know exactly how much the insurance has cost for the specific job.

FAQs icon

Can you get Public Liability insurance for a month?

Yes, it is possible to get Public Liability insurance for one month if that is all you need cover for. However, at this length of time it’s also worth checking to see if it is more cost-effective to purchase a yearly policy – especially if you think you may need several temporary policies over the course of a year.

FAQs icon

What is the minimum Public Liability insurance in the UK?

In the UK there is no legally mandated minimum level for Public Liability insurance. Depending on where you work and if someone is asking for you to have insurance in place, £5,000,000 is usually a widely accepted amount.

Some large venues like sports stadiums, arenas, conference buildings and other large-scale venues may require you to have £10,000,000 of cover in place.

FAQs icon

What happens if I don't have Public Liability insurance?

Without Public Liability insurance, you could be financially responsible for any claims made against you for injuries or damages caused during your event or business activities.

A claim could be brought against you for compensation and the costs and expenses someone has incurred. This can lead to significant financial strain, especially if the claims are substantial.

FAQs icon

Is Public Liability insurance mandatory for events in the UK?

While not legally mandatory, many venues and organisations may require you to have public liability insurance to attend and work at the event, as it can protect against claims for injuries or damages occurring on the premises.