Short Film Insurance

Flexible short-term film insurance. Build your own cover to suit your needs with Public Liability and Equipment Insurance.

Short Film Insurance

Flexible short-term film insurance. Build your own cover to suit your needs with Public Liability and Equipment Insurance.

Short films are a powerful medium, often telling profound stories in a limited timeframe. While the scale might be smaller, the passion, effort, and risks involved are just as significant.

From tight budgets to compact shooting schedules, short filmmakers face unique challenges. Short film insurance provides cover so that unforeseen setbacks don't compromise your vision or derail your project.

Discover what types of short-term cover are available for filmmakers:

Public Liability Insurance


What it covers

Protection against claims made by third parties for injuries or property damage during your short film production activities.

green tick

Why short filmmakers might need it

Whether you're filming in a cafe, a park or a rented studio, unforeseen incidents can and sometimes do happen. This cover can mean you're not left handling unexpected liabilities on a tight budget.


Equipment Insurance

What it covers

Protection for your film equipment against theft, damage or loss.

green tick

Why short filmmakers might need it

Your equipment, whether rented or owned, is crucial to the success of your production. A damaged camera or lost microphone can halt your tight production schedule. Get covered so you can quickly get back on track.

Only get the cover you need with our flexible insurance policies for short film projects.

We understand that not all productions take months to complete, but short-term projects still require protection. That's why our coverage starts from just one day.

Whether you're working on a music video, commercial, feature film, or a kit test, we offer the support you need in case something goes wrong behind the scenes.

Our short film insurance is also fast and easy to purchase online. We’ll email your policy documents to you immediately, so they’re available whenever you need them. Plus, you can amend your policy post-purchase if your circumstances change.

Our short-term coverage is also accepted by all major equipment hire companies.

Why Public Liability insurance is essential for your short-film production

Whether your production is international or domestic, you will often need proof of Public Liability insurance to secure permission for filming or commercial photography.

This insurance safeguards your production against legal liabilities if your filming activities cause injury to a third party or damage to property.

It's crucial to obtain a policy at the earliest stages of pre-production and maintain it through all post-production activities. Remember, it is vital that you adhere to Health & Safety regulations for a smoothly run shoot, as failure to do so may invalidate your insurance policy.

How much cover do you need for a short film?

Generally, you will need a minimum of £2 million cover for street filming and photography. In some areas, at least £5 million is required.

The required amount of cover varies based on:

  • The size of your production
  • The locations you will be using
  • The nature of the filming or photography

Check with location owners or the relevant local authority to determine the exact amount of cover you might need.

Why Choose Mode Insurance?

At Mode Insurance, we understand the unique pressures and challenges of creating short films.

Our tailored policies, especially our flexible and short-term insurance options, can provide cover so that the specific challenges of short film production are addressed.

With Mode Insurance, you're not just getting film insurance - you're gaining a partner who understands the complexities of short film making.

Short Film Insurance FAQs

Below we have listed the most common questions we get from our customers about insurance for short films.

FAQs icon

Why should I get a quote from Mode Insurance?

Our coverage is flexible and can be adjusted to suit periods of intense project work or times when you're between projects. Additionally, our policies are specifically designed for the creative industry and are suited to a wide range of professions.

FAQs icon

Can I adjust my insurance coverage as my professional needs change?

Absolutely! We understand that the life of a creative freelancer is ever-changing. That’s why our insurance plans are designed to be as flexible as your career. You can choose from short-term options for specific projects or opt for longer-term coverage. Adjustments can be made to suit your current professional situation, whether you're scaling up your operations or downsizing.

FAQs icon

Do I need Public Liability insurance?

Whether you need Public Liability insurance depends on the nature of your business. It's not a legal requirement, but it's particularly important if your business activities involve interaction with clients, customers or members of the public. This could be as simple as working from a coffee shop, all the way to working in a large stadium or event space.

FAQs icon

How much Public Liability insurance cover do I need?

The amount of coverage you need depends on your business type, size and the specific risks involved. Typically, businesses opt for cover ranging from £1 million to £5 million, but it's best to assess your individual business needs.

You may find a minimum coverage amount specified in a contract that you are looking to secure as many other businesses, venues or local authorities will stipulate the amount of Public Liability insurance you need.

FAQs icon

Is Public Liability insurance a legal requirement?

No, Public Liability insurance is not a legal requirement for most businesses in the UK. However, it can be important due to the financial protection it offers against claims from the public.

You may also find that Public Liability insurance is required by some clients, suppliers and partners before you work with them.

FAQs icon

What is the difference between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance?

Public Liability insurance covers injury or damage to third parties and their property, while Professional Indemnity insurance protects against claims of professional negligence or poor advice.

FAQs icon

Can I get Public Liability insurance for one day?

Yes, one day Public Liability insurance is becoming increasingly popular and most businesses can obtain cover specifically for one day. This is ideal for short-term events like workshops, pop-up shops or a shoot you are organising.

This is great for budgeting and charging your clients as you know exactly how much the insurance has cost for the specific job.

FAQs icon

Which type of creative freelancers need Equipment Insurance?

If your work requires the use of expensive specialist equipment, such as Photography Equipment, Film Equipment, laptops microphones and more, then Equipment Insurance can help provide peace of mind that you can repair or replace any of your important work tools if they are stolen, lost or accidentally damaged.

FAQs icon

How much Equipment Insurance cover do I need?

This will depend on the value of your equipment and how much it would cost to replace it all if it were stolen, lost or accidentally damaged.

We can provide up to £50k of Equipment Insurance to cover all of your vital work gear.

FAQs icon

What equipment is covered?

The policy covers the equipment you need to keep your business up and running that you take away from the premises.

Some examples of equipment that can be covered are:

  • Communication tools, such as desktops, laptops, mobiles, and tablets
  • Essential work equipment, such as graphic tablets and hairdressing equipment
  • Photography equipment, such as including cameras, lighting, and staging equipment
  • Accessories, such as lenses, lighting rigs, etc.
  • Cameras and ancillary equipment
  • PA, sound and lighting equipment
  • Portable electrical equipment
  • Mechanical effects equipment
  • Grip equipment
  • Props, sets and wardrobes
  • Makeup and prosthetics
  • Editing and recording equipment
  • Video and broadcast equipment
FAQs icon

I’m hiring my film equipment, how do I know how much to cover to get?

You’ll need to ask the owner/hire company for this information.

The Sum Insured should reflect the total replacement cost of the equipment as if it were new, based on current prices. The owner or the company you are hiring from should provide you with this value. We highly recommend not estimating this amount on your own. If your estimate is incorrect, you might be responsible for any shortfall in the event of a claim, rather than the owner who gave you an incorrect figure.

It's a good idea to send the hire company or the owner a copy of your quote to ensure they agree with the insured sum.

FAQs icon

Do I need insurance for a student film project?

Like any film project, a student film shoot may present risks and student film insurance might provide peace of mind.

If you are filming in a public place, then Public Liability insurance can provide cover in case you damage property or injure a member of the public while you are filming. Equipment insurance can also provide peace of mind that the equipment you are using – whether you own it or have hired it in – is covered against theft, loss and damage.

With Mode Insurance, you can get short term cover for one day, a few days, a week, or for however long you need it – which can be ideal for student film productions.