Makeup Artist Insurance

Flexible insurance for professional makeup artists. Choose your own cover levels for Public Liability, Equipment Insurance and more.

Makeup Artist Insurance

Flexible insurance for professional makeup artists. Choose your own cover levels for Public Liability, Equipment Insurance and more.

Makeup is more than just colour and technique, it's a transformative art that enhances, empowers and expresses.

As a makeup artist, you work closely with clients and use a variety of products and tools. While your artistry is at the forefront, potential risks, from allergic reactions to damaged equipment, can lurk in the background.

Insurance for makeup artists provides cover so that these unforeseen challenges don't smudge your reputation or your finances.

Discover the different types of cover available for makeup artists:

Public Liability Insurance


What it covers

Protection against claims made by clients or third parties for injuries or property damage during your makeup sessions.

green tick

Why makeup artists might need it

Whether you're working in a studio, a client's home or a backstage setting, accidents can and sometimes do happen. If a client has an unexpected reaction or a valuable item is accidentally damaged, this cover can mean you're not left out of pocket.

Equipment Insurance


What it covers

Protection for your makeup kit – from brushes to high-end products – against theft, damage or loss.

green tick

Why makeup artists might need it

Your kit is both your arsenal and investment. A spilt foundation or stolen palette can disrupt your appointments. Get covered to quickly get back to creating stunning looks.

Employers’ Liability Insurance


What it covers

Protection against claims from employees related to injuries or illnesses sustained while working with you.

green tick

Why makeup artists might need it

If you have an assistant or a team, the fast-paced nature of makeup sessions means accidents can happen. Employers’ Liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have employees and means you have cover in place if an employee makes a claim.

Why Choose Mode Insurance?

The world of makeup is a blend of creativity, precision and trust.

At Mode Insurance, we understand the unique challenges and pressures of transforming faces and moods. Our tailored policies mean that every brush stroke, every client interaction and every look you create can be covered.

With Mode Insurance you're not just getting cover - you're gaining a partner who understands the specific needs of makeup artists.

Insurance to suit you


Up to £50k equipment cover

Insure the tools of your trade, as well as hired-in equipment.

Project-by-project Public Liability insurance

Get PLI for £84 a year or choose a shorter term to suit you.


Be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance.

What treatment does my Makeup Artist Insurance policy cover?

Your policy will cover you to provide the following treatments:

  • Application of cosmetic makeup
  • Facials (other than those involving botulinum toxin treatment, electrolysis, chemical peeling, laser treatment or piercing of the skin)
  • Manicures
  • Pedicures
  • Waxing treatments
  • Spray tanning treatments
  • Hair dressing
  • Ear piercing

For any beauty treatments that go beyond basic makeup application or hair work (like cutting or styling), a qualified professional must either carry them out or oversee them. This means someone with the right qualifications and experience needs to be in charge to ensure safety and standards.

Hygiene and Safety Standards

All treatments must meet strict hygiene standards. This is crucial to keep your clients safe and to comply with health regulations.

Manufacturer's Instructions

When using chemicals or materials, you must follow the manufacturer’s guidelines. This helps prevent mishaps due to improper use.

Ear Piercing

Ear-piercing needles must be used just once. This is a non-negotiable rule to prevent any risk of infection.

Cover Limit

The maximum payout for claims related to beauty treatments is £100,000. This is the total amount the policy will pay out, no matter the situation, and it does not affect your overall indemnity limit.

Who is the definition of a 'Qualified Person'?

A 'Qualified Person' in this context is someone who is at least 18 years old, has a minimum of two years of continuous professional experience, and has the appropriate certificates or qualifications for the treatments they provide.

Choose your cover and start your quote now


Public Liability insurance from £84 a year for £1m cover

Or choose your own cover limit of £2m, £3m or £5m.


Up to £50k all-risk technical and portable equipment cover

Covered in the UK & EU as standard or increase cover to worldwide.


Professional Indemnity - be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance with either a £100,000 or £250,000 limit.


Up to £50k cover for equipment that doesn’t leave your property

Protect the contents of your business and other technical equipment that doesn’t leave your property.


Employers’ Liability cover for up to 3 PAYE employees

Our Employers’ Liability cover provides £10,000,000 of cover.

Makeup Artist Insurance FAQs

Below we have listed the most common questions we get from our customers about insurance for makeup artists.

FAQs icon

Why should I get a quote from Mode Insurance?

Our coverage is flexible and can be adjusted to suit periods of intense project work or times when you're between projects. Additionally, our policies are specifically designed for the creative industry and are suited to a wide range of professions.

FAQs icon

Can I adjust my insurance coverage as my professional needs change?

Absolutely! We understand that the life of a creative freelancer is ever-changing. That’s why our insurance plans are designed to be as flexible as your career. You can choose from short-term options for specific projects or opt for longer-term coverage. Adjustments can be made to suit your current professional situation, whether you're scaling up your operations or downsizing.

FAQs icon

Do I need Public Liability insurance?

Whether you need Public Liability insurance depends on the nature of your business. It's not a legal requirement, but it's particularly important if your business activities involve interaction with clients, customers or members of the public. This could be as simple as working from a coffee shop, all the way to working in a large stadium or event space.

FAQs icon

How much Public Liability insurance cover do I need?

The amount of coverage you need depends on your business type, size and the specific risks involved. Typically, businesses opt for cover ranging from £1 million to £5 million, but it's best to assess your individual business needs.

You may find a minimum coverage amount specified in a contract that you are looking to secure as many other businesses, venues or local authorities will stipulate the amount of Public Liability insurance you need.

FAQs icon

Is Public Liability insurance a legal requirement?

No, Public Liability insurance is not a legal requirement for most businesses in the UK. However, it can be important due to the financial protection it offers against claims from the public.

You may also find that Public Liability insurance is required by some clients, suppliers and partners before you work with them.

FAQs icon

What is the difference between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance?

Public Liability insurance covers injury or damage to third parties and their property, while Professional Indemnity insurance protects against claims of professional negligence or poor advice.

FAQs icon

Can I get Public Liability insurance for one day?

Yes, one day Public Liability insurance is becoming increasingly popular and most businesses can obtain cover specifically for one day. This is ideal for short-term events like workshops, pop-up shops or a shoot you are organising.

This is great for budgeting and charging your clients as you know exactly how much the insurance has cost for the specific job.

FAQs icon

Which type of creative freelancers need Equipment Insurance?

If your work requires the use of expensive specialist equipment, such as Photography Equipment, Film Equipment, laptops microphones and more, then Equipment Insurance can help provide peace of mind that you can repair or replace any of your important work tools if they are stolen, lost or accidentally damaged.

FAQs icon

How much Equipment Insurance cover do I need?

This will depend on the value of your equipment and how much it would cost to replace it all if it were stolen, lost or accidentally damaged.

We can provide up to £50k of Equipment Insurance to cover all of your vital work gear.

FAQs icon

What equipment is covered?

The policy covers the equipment you need to keep your business up and running that you take away from the premises.

Some examples of equipment that can be covered are:

  • Communication tools, such as desktops, laptops, mobiles, and tablets
  • Essential work equipment, such as graphic tablets and hairdressing equipment
  • Photography equipment, such as including cameras, lighting, and staging equipment
  • Accessories, such as lenses, lighting rigs, etc.
  • Cameras and ancillary equipment
  • PA, sound and lighting equipment
  • Portable electrical equipment
  • Mechanical effects equipment
  • Grip equipment
  • Props, sets and wardrobes
  • Makeup and prosthetics
  • Editing and recording equipment
  • Video and broadcast equipment
FAQs icon

Who needs Professional Indemnity insurance?

Creative professionals who provide advice, consultancy work or work under a contract with a client can consider Professional Indemnity insurance.

This includes, but is not limited to, graphic designers, photographers and marketing consultants.

FAQs icon

How much does Professional Indemnity insurance cost?

The cost of Professional Indemnity insurance varies based on factors like your profession, the level of risk and the amount of coverage needed.

FAQs icon

How much Professional Indemnity insurance do I need?

The amount of cover required depends on your business size, the clients you work with, the types of contracts you work under and the potential risks involved in your services. It's a good idea to assess the maximum claim you could face and choose a limit that can comfortably cover this.

With Mode Insurance you can choose a Professional Indemnity insurance cover limit of either £100,000 or £250,000, depending on your needs and requirements.

FAQs icon

Do I need Employers’ Liability insurance?

If you employ anyone, even on a casual or part-time basis, the law typically requires you to have Employers' Liability insurance. This means that you have at least the minimum cover if an employed person makes a claim against you.

FAQs icon

What does Employers’ Liability insurance cover?

Employers’ liability insurance can provide cover for:

  • Compensation if an employee claims for injury or illness caused while working for you.
  • Fees for your legal representation at any coroner’s inquest of fatal accident inquiry and proceedings in any court of summary jurisdiction arising out of any alleged breach of statutory duty.
  • The claimants’ legal costs for which you are legally liable.