Professional Indemnity Insurance for Photographers

Flexible cover designed to protect against potential claims for errors, omissions or professional negligence.

Professional Indemnity Insurance for Photographers

Flexible cover designed to protect against potential claims for errors, omissions or professional negligence.

Being a professional photographer, your work is more than just images.

While you strive to meet every client's expectations, misunderstandings or unforeseen challenges can arise. Professional Indemnity insurance provides cover so that these professional hiccups don't compromise your reputation or finances.

Shield icon

What is Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Professional indemnity insurance can protect photographers against claims of negligence, errors or omissions in the services they provide.

For instance, if a client claims dissatisfaction with the delivered photos, Professional Indemnity insurance could help protect you from potential financial and reputational setbacks.

Why Photographers Need Professional Indemnity Insurance

Although there is no legal requirement to have professional indemnity insurance, photographers should consider protection against certain risks associated with their work.

Purple tick shield icon

Client expectations

Every client brings their own unique expectations to a project and, even with clear communication, there's potential for misunderstandings. Professional indemnity insurance makes sure you're prepared to address any professional disputes.

Purple tick shield icon

Project delays

Unforeseen circumstances, like travel issues, health problems with staff or trouble with filming on the day, can cause project delays. If a client claims financial loss due to such delays, Professional Indemnity insurance can help protect you.

Purple tick shield icon

Protect your reputation

In the creative industry, your reputation is invaluable. Addressing claims promptly and professionally means you can maintain trust within the community.

Purple tick shield icon

Financial security and peace of mind

Defending against professional claims can be costly and time-consuming, even if you're in the right. Beyond compensation, there are legal fees to consider. Professional Indemnity insurance can provide cover so that such costs don't disrupt your business.

Why Choose Mode Insurance?

At Mode Insurance, we recognise the dedication and professionalism photographers bring to each project.

Our tailored policies provide cover so that the unique challenges and nuances of your profession are addressed. With us, you're not just getting coverage - you're gaining a partner who's committed to supporting you and ensuring you can work with peace of mind.

Insurance to suit you


Up to £50k equipment cover

Insure the tools of your trade, as well as hired-in equipment.

Project-by-project Public Liability insurance

Get PLI for £84 a year or choose a shorter term to suit you.


Be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance.

What Other Insurance Should Photographers Consider?

As well as Professional Indemnity insurance, freelance and self-employed photographers might also need:

Equipment Insurance

Protect all of your photography kit against accidental damage, loss or theft.

We provide up to £50k of technical/portable equipment cover, so if anything happens to your essential equipment you can quickly get it repaired or replaced with minimum downtime to your business.

At Mode Insurance your equipment could be covered for £5,000 anywhere in the UK and EU*.

Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability insurance protects photographers against claims made by third parties for injuries or property damage that might occur during professional activities.

Whether someone trips over your tripod or a valuable artefact is accidentally damaged during a shoot, this cover means you are not left bearing the financial burden.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

If you employ anyone then you are legally required to have at least £5m of Employers’ Liability cover in place.

This can protect against claims from employees related to injuries or illnesses sustained while working for you.

Choose your cover and start your quote now


Public Liability insurance from £84 a year for £1m cover

Or choose your own cover limit of £2m, £3m or £5m.


Up to £50k all-risk technical and portable equipment cover

Covered in the UK & EU as standard or increase cover to worldwide.


Professional Indemnity - be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance with either a £100,000 or £250,000 limit.


Up to £50k cover for equipment that doesn’t leave your property

Protect the contents of your business and other technical equipment that doesn’t leave your property.


Employers’ Liability cover for up to 3 PAYE employees

Our Employers’ Liability cover provides £10,000,000 of cover.

Professional Indemnity Insurance for Photographers FAQs

Below we have listed the most common questions we get from self-employed creatives about photographers’ Professional Indemnity insurance. For more information, read our guide: What Insurance Do Photographers Need?

FAQs icon

How much does Professional Indemnity insurance cost?

The cost of Professional Indemnity insurance varies based on factors like your profession, the level of risk and the amount of coverage needed.

FAQs icon

Who needs Professional Indemnity insurance?

Creative professionals who provide advice, consultancy work or if they work under a contract with a client should consider Professional Indemnity insurance.

This includes, but is not limited to, graphic designers, photographers and marketing consultants.

FAQs icon

How much Professional Indemnity insurance do I need?

The amount of cover required depends on your business size, the clients you work with, the types of contracts you work under and the potential risks involved in your services. It's a good idea to assess the maximum claim you could face and choose a limit that can comfortably cover this.

With Mode Insurance you can choose a Professional Indemnity insurance cover limit of either £100,000 or £250,000, depending on your needs and requirements.

FAQs icon

Do you legally need Professional Indemnity insurance?

Professional Indemnity insurance is not a legal requirement for all professions but is mandatory for some, like solicitors and financial advisors. Even if not legally required, it is often necessary for contractual reasons or to meet industry standards and your customers expectations.

FAQs icon

What's the difference between Professional Indemnity insurance and Public Liability insurance?

Professional Indemnity insurance covers claims arising from professional mistakes or negligence in the services you provide and the contracts you work under. Public Liability insurance protects against claims of physical injury or property damage to third parties due to your business activities.

FAQs icon

What is ‘run-off’ cover?

‘Run-off’ cover is a type of Professional Indemnity insurance that provides protection after a business has ceased operations. It's important for covering any claims that arise from work completed while the business was still active as a mistake could be identified at any time, sometimes many years after you completed the work.

Even if you are trading but you don’t feel that you are working on anything where a client can claim against you, it is important to consider Professional Indemnity, as an old client might claim against you for work you carried out years ago as they have only recently discovered an issue with your work.

FAQs icon

Does Professional Indemnity insurance cover legal costs?

Professional Indemnity insurance generally covers legal costs associated with defending a claim, including settlements and compensations, up to the policy limit.

FAQs icon

What is a retroactive date and do I need one?

A retroactive date can be used on your Professional Indemnity policy to provide the date that the policy will cover you from.

However, you can’t select any date - as the date must be the date you first purchased Professional Indemnity cover and had it in place continuously without any breaks in cover.

So if you have had Professional Indemnity insurance in place since 2011 and renewed it every year without a single day being missed, you can put this date as your retroactive date and your current policy could cover you for claims made against you, all the way back to this date.

This allows you to move insurers without losing protection for any claims that might be brought against you for your old work.

* ‘EU’ means anywhere within any member country of the European Union or within Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland