Music Teacher Insurance

Tailored insurance for music teachers. Whether it's lessons at home or in a studio, orchestrate your cover with our flexible options.

Music Teacher Insurance

Tailored insurance for music teachers. Whether it's lessons at home or in a studio, orchestrate your cover with our flexible options.

Music teachers are the trusted experts guiding students through scales, rhythms and compositions.

Whether you are teaching piano in a studio, guitar in a student's home or conducting a school choir, your expertise shapes budding musicians. While your primary focus is on technique and musical expression, potential risks - from instrument damage to student injuries - can disrupt your teaching cadence.

Our flexible insurance provides cover so that these unforeseen challenges don't dampen your musical journey.

Find out more about the different types of cover available to music teachers and tutors below:

Public Liability Insurance


What it covers

Protection against claims made by students or third parties for injuries or property damage during your work, for example during music lessons or concerts and recitals.

green tick

Why music teachers might need it

Instruments and equipment can sometimes cause unforeseen accidents. If a student or visitor gets injured during a lesson or a performance, this cover means you're shielded from potential liabilities.

Professional Indemnity Insurance


What it covers

Can offer cover for claims of negligence, errors or omissions made against you related to the musical instruction or guidance you provide.

green tick

Why music teachers might need it

As a music teacher, you're trusted to provide accurate and effective instruction. If there's a claim of improper teaching technique or a perceived error in your guidance, this cover can protect your reputation and finances.

Employers' Liability Insurance


What it covers

Protection against claims from your employees related to injuries or illnesses sustained while working for you. Remember, this insurance is a legal requirement if you have employees.

green tick

Why music teachers might need it

Employers’ Liability insurance means you can meet your legal obligations as an employer and provides cover in the event a current or former employee makes a claim for compensation against you.

Equipment Insurance


What it covers

Protection for your musical instruments and teaching tools – from pianos to metronomes – against theft, damage or loss.

green tick

Why music teachers might need it

Your instruments are essential for teaching and performance. A damaged guitar or a break-in where your instruments are stolen can disrupt your lessons and impact your income. Get covered to continue teaching without missing a beat.

Why Choose Mode Insurance?

The world of music is rich and diverse, with music teachers right in the middle of it.

At Mode Insurance, we understand the unique challenges and joys that come with teaching music. Our tailored policies mean that every note, every lesson and every performance can be covered.

With Mode Insurance, you're not just getting cover – you're gaining a partner who understands the rhythm of the music teaching profession.

Insurance to suit you


Up to £50k equipment cover

Insure the tools of your trade, as well as hired-in equipment.

Project-by-project Public Liability insurance

Get PLI for £84 a year or choose a shorter term to suit you.


Be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance.

Music Teacher Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability Insurance (PLI) can help to safeguard music teachers against legal liabilities, covering costs if you accidentally injure someone (other than an employee) or damage property while working or teaching.

PLI isn't just about protection in case of accidents - it's also often a requirement for music teachers, with employers, local authorities and venues often requesting proof, such as your PLI certificate, to confirm you're insured against public liability before giving you work opportunities.

Slips, trips and falls can happen anywhere, so even if a student is coming into your premises for a lesson, Public Liability can help to protect you if someone claims you caused them an injury or damaged their property.

How much does music teacher insurance cost?

The price you pay for insurance can depend on a lot of different factors. We have outlined some example prices below, but to get a more accurate price you can get your free quote here.

The cost of your insurance can be influenced by the nature of your work, as different professions and trades come with varying risk levels. Generally, the riskier your occupation, the more comprehensive the insurance coverage you'll need.

The location of your work also plays a role in determining your premium. If your business is situated in a busy area or involves frequent interactions with the public, there's a greater chance of accidents, which can increase your insurance cost.

The number of employees you have impacts your premium too. More staff means a higher likelihood of claims related to negligence or accidental injuries.

Finally, your business turnover can affect the cost of your policy. A higher turnover often indicates dealing with more clients and/or larger contracts – which can mean a higher level of risk.

Why might music teachers need Professional Indemnity insurance?

If you offer professional advice during lessons as part of your role as a music teacher, then Professional Indemnity insurance can help protect your reputation. This type of insurance can offer cover in case a claim is made against you for giving negligent advice.

With Mode Insurance you can choose from either £100,000 or £250,000 worth of Professional Indemnity insurance, with prices starting at just £112 per month.

Can I get insurance for my instruments?

We offer Equipment insurance up to £50,000 to make sure any specialist equipment – which includes musical instruments, accessories and recording equipment – is covered against accidental damage, loss or theft.

We offer UK and EU* cover as standard. If you are travelling further afield, you can increase your cover to worldwide easily.

Would home insurance cover my instruments and equipment while I teach?

While your home insurance might include coverage for your musical instruments, it's important to note that many home contents policies don't protect them once they're taken outside of it. As a music teacher frequently visiting students' homes, this is a crucial consideration.

Your current home insurance may not extend to your instruments when they're used professionally or away from home. It's wise to verify the specifics and limitations of your policy with your insurance provider.

Choose your cover and start your quote now


Public Liability insurance from £84 a year for £1m cover

Or choose your own cover limit of £2m, £3m or £5m.


Up to £50k all-risk technical and portable equipment cover

Covered in the UK & EU as standard or increase cover to worldwide.


Professional Indemnity - be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance with either a £100,000 or £250,000 limit.


Up to £50k cover for equipment that doesn’t leave your property

Protect the contents of your business and other technical equipment that doesn’t leave your property.


Employers’ Liability cover for up to 3 PAYE employees

Our Employers’ Liability cover provides £10,000,000 of cover.

Music Teacher Insurance FAQs

Below we have listed the most common questions we get from our customers about insurance for music teachers.

FAQs icon

Why should I get a quote from Mode Insurance?

Our coverage is flexible and can be adjusted to suit periods of intense project work or times when you're between projects. Additionally, our policies are specifically designed for the creative industry and are suited to a wide range of professions.

FAQs icon

Can I adjust my insurance coverage as my professional needs change?

Absolutely! We understand that the life of a creative freelancer is ever-changing. That’s why our insurance plans are designed to be as flexible as your career. You can choose from short-term options for specific projects or opt for longer-term coverage. Adjustments can be made to suit your current professional situation, whether you're scaling up your operations or downsizing.

FAQs icon

Do I need Public Liability insurance?

Whether you need Public Liability insurance depends on the nature of your business. It's not a legal requirement, but it's particularly important if your business activities involve interaction with clients, customers or members of the public. This could be as simple as working from a coffee shop, all the way to working in a large stadium or event space.

FAQs icon

How much Public Liability insurance cover do I need?

The amount of coverage you need depends on your business type, size and the specific risks involved. Typically, businesses opt for cover ranging from £1 million to £5 million, but it's best to assess your individual business needs.

You may find a minimum coverage amount specified in a contract that you are looking to secure as many other businesses, venues or local authorities will stipulate the amount of Public Liability insurance you need.

FAQs icon

Is Public Liability insurance a legal requirement?

No, Public Liability insurance is not a legal requirement for most businesses in the UK. However, it can be important due to the financial protection it offers against claims from the public.

You may also find that Public Liability insurance is required by some clients, suppliers and partners before you work with them.

FAQs icon

What is the difference between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance?

Public Liability insurance covers injury or damage to third parties and their property, while Professional Indemnity insurance protects against claims of professional negligence or poor advice.

FAQs icon

Can I get Public Liability insurance for one day?

Yes, one day Public Liability insurance is becoming increasingly popular and most businesses can obtain cover specifically for one day. This is ideal for short-term events like workshops, pop-up shops or a shoot you are organising.

This is great for budgeting and charging your clients as you know exactly how much the insurance has cost for the specific job.

FAQs icon

Which type of creative freelancers need Equipment Insurance?

If your work requires the use of expensive specialist equipment, such as Photography Equipment, Film Equipment, laptops microphones and more, then Equipment Insurance can help provide peace of mind that you can repair or replace any of your important work tools if they are stolen, lost or accidentally damaged.

FAQs icon

How much Equipment Insurance cover do I need?

This will depend on the value of your equipment and how much it would cost to replace it all if it were stolen, lost or accidentally damaged.

We can provide up to £50k of Equipment Insurance to cover all of your vital work gear.

FAQs icon

What equipment is covered?

The policy covers the equipment you need to keep your business up and running that you take away from the premises.

Some examples of equipment that can be covered are:

  • Communication tools, such as desktops, laptops, mobiles, and tablets
  • Essential work equipment, such as graphic tablets and hairdressing equipment
  • Photography equipment, such as including cameras, lighting, and staging equipment
  • Accessories, such as lenses, lighting rigs, etc.
  • Cameras and ancillary equipment
  • PA, sound and lighting equipment
  • Portable electrical equipment
  • Mechanical effects equipment
  • Grip equipment
  • Props, sets and wardrobes
  • Makeup and prosthetics
  • Editing and recording equipment
  • Video and broadcast equipment
FAQs icon

Who needs Professional Indemnity insurance?

Creative professionals who provide advice, consultancy work or work under a contract with a client can consider Professional Indemnity insurance.

This includes, but is not limited to, graphic designers, photographers and marketing consultants.

FAQs icon

How much does Professional Indemnity insurance cost?

The cost of Professional Indemnity insurance varies based on factors like your profession, the level of risk and the amount of coverage needed.

FAQs icon

How much Professional Indemnity insurance do I need?

The amount of cover required depends on your business size, the clients you work with, the types of contracts you work under and the potential risks involved in your services. It's a good idea to assess the maximum claim you could face and choose a limit that can comfortably cover this.

With Mode Insurance you can choose a Professional Indemnity insurance cover limit of either £100,000 or £250,000, depending on your needs and requirements.

FAQs icon

Do I need Employers’ Liability insurance?

If you employ anyone, even on a casual or part-time basis, the law typically requires you to have Employers' Liability insurance. This means that you have at least the minimum cover if an employed person makes a claim against you.

FAQs icon

What does Employers’ Liability insurance cover?

Employers’ liability insurance can provide cover for:

  • Compensation if an employee claims for injury or illness caused while working for you.
  • Fees for your legal representation at any coroner’s inquest of fatal accident inquiry and proceedings in any court of summary jurisdiction arising out of any alleged breach of statutory duty.
  • The claimants’ legal costs for which you are legally liable.

* ‘EU’ means anywhere within any member country of the European Union or within Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland