Photography Equipment Insurance

Protect your important photography equipment against loss, theft and accidental damage.

Photography Equipment Insurance

Protect your important photography equipment against loss, theft and accidental damage.

Your photography equipment is more than just work tools - it's an extension of your vision, passion and expertise.

From the high-end camera bodies to the meticulously chosen lenses, each piece plays a pivotal role in your work. But with frequent use, travel and varying shooting environments, these valuable items are constantly exposed to risks. Equipment Insurance provides cover so that damage, theft or loss of your photography kit doesn't disrupt your creative flow.

Shield icon

What is Photographer Equipment Insurance?

Photographer equipment insurance provides cover for your photography gear against potential threats like theft, damage or loss.

Whether it's a lens shattered during transit, a stolen camera bag or accidental water damage, this insurance means you can quickly recover and continue capturing moments.

Why Photographers Need Equipment Insurance

Professional photographers should consider insurance for their equipment as the consequences of an accident could be devastating – both in terms of having to pay for replacement kit and being unable to work until you get the replacement equipment.

Purple tick shield icon

Expensive equipment

Photography equipment can be expensive.

The cost of replacing or repairing your gear can be financially draining – so insurance can mean you're not burdened by unexpected costs.

Purple tick shield icon

Diverse shooting environments

From rugged landscapes to bustling urban settings, photographers often work in challenging environments. This exposes equipment to potential damage from accidents and theft from unfamiliar locations.

Purple tick shield icon

Travel risks

Whether you're traveling internationally for a shoot or just to a local venue, moving and transporting equipment increases the risk of theft or damage.

Purple tick shield icon

Rapid technological changes

With the fast-paced evolution of photography technology, maintaining up-to-date equipment is crucial. Insurance provides cover so that unexpected damages don't hinder your ability to stay current.

Why Choose Mode Insurance?

At Mode Insurance, we understand the value of your equipment. It's not just about the monetary worth but the significance each piece holds in your creative journey.

Our tailored policies can provide cover for the unique challenges photographers face. With Mode, you're not just insuring gear - you're safeguarding your passion.

Insurance to suit you


Up to £50k equipment cover

Insure the tools of your trade, as well as hired-in equipment.

Project-by-project Public Liability insurance

Get PLI for £84 a year or choose a shorter term to suit you.


Be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance.

What Other Insurance Should Photographers Consider?

As well as Equipment Insurance, freelance and self-employed photographers might also need:

Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability insurance protects photographers against claims made by third parties for injuries or property damage that might occur during professional activities.

Whether someone trips over your tripod or a valuable artefact is accidentally damaged during a shoot, this cover means you are not left bearing the financial burden.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Professional Indemnity insurance can protect photographers against claims of negligence, errors or omissions in the services they provide.

Whether a client alleges that a missed deadline affected their event, or claims dissatisfaction with the delivered photos, this professional indemnity insurance can help protect you from potential financial and reputational setbacks.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

If you employ anyone then you are legally required to have at least £5m of Employers’ Liability cover in place, but most insurers will provide £10m as standard.

This can protect against claims from employees related to injuries or illnesses sustained while working for you.

Choose your cover and start your quote now


Public Liability insurance from £84 a year for £1m cover

Or choose your own cover limit of £2m, £3m or £5m.


Up to £50k all-risk technical and portable equipment cover

Covered in the UK & EU as standard or increase cover to worldwide.


Professional Indemnity - be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance with either a £100,000 or £250,000 limit.


Up to £50k cover for equipment that doesn’t leave your property

Protect the contents of your business and other technical equipment that doesn’t leave your property.


Employers’ Liability cover for up to 3 PAYE employees

Our Employers’ Liability cover provides £10,000,000 of cover.

Equipment Insurance for Photographers FAQs

Below we have listed the most common questions we get from self-employed creatives about photographers’ Equipment Insurance. For more information, read our guide: What Insurance Do Photographers Need?

FAQs icon

What creative freelancers need Equipment Insurance?

If your work requires the use of expensive specialist equipment, such as Photography Equipment, Film Equipment, laptops microphones and more, then Equipment Insurance can help provide peace of mind that you can repair or replace any of your important work tools if they are stolen, lost or accidentally damaged.

FAQs icon

How much Equipment Insurance cover do I need?

This will depend on the value of your equipment and how much it would cost to replace it all if it were stolen, lost or accidentally damaged.

We can provide up to £50k of Equipment Insurance to cover all of your vital work gear.

FAQs icon

Is my camera covered by my home insurance?

This depends on your home insurance policy. Some contents insurance policies will provide cover for your camera for accidental damage or loss while it’s at home. Some may also allow you to add an option to cover your camera and other gadgets while they’re out of the house as well.

However, if something happens to your camera and you make a claim on your contents cover it is likely that your home insurance premiums will increase in the future.

FAQs icon

What equipment is covered?

The policy covers the equipment you need to keep your business up and running that you take away from the premises.

Some examples of equipment that can be covered are:

  • Communication tools, such as desktops, laptops, mobiles, and tablets
  • Essential work equipment, such as graphic tablets and hairdressing equipment
  • Photography equipment, such as including cameras, lighting, and staging equipment
  • All the accessories, such as lenses, lighting rigs, etc.
  • Cameras and ancillary equipment
  • PA, sound and lighting equipment
  • Portable electrical equipment
  • Mechanical effects equipment
  • Grip equipment
  • Props, sets and wardrobes
  • Makeup and prosthetics
  • Editing and recording equipment
  • Video and broadcast equipment

So, whatever creative work you do – your essential tools and kit can be covered and protected against accidental damage, loss or theft.

FAQs icon

How do I know the value of photography equipment I want to insure?

To determine the value of your camera equipment, consider its current market value while accounting for depreciation. Keep receipts and regularly update your inventory to reflect any new equipment purchases or upgrades.

We can also cover hired-in equipment under our Equipment Insurance.

You also don’t need to tell us each individual piece of equipment. If you have a limit of £50,000, you can have one item covered or you can have hundreds - so you can rest easy knowing your equipment is protected.

FAQs icon

What else should you consider when buying business equipment insurance?

When considering Equipment Insurance for your creative business, it's important to pay attention to a few key aspects:

Excess - consider the excess amount on your policy. If the excess is higher than the cost of replacing your damaged or stolen equipment, then the policy might not offer the best value. It's important to balance the excess with potential costs. At Mode Insurance, our standard excess for Equipment Insurance is set at £350.

Exclusions - be vigilant about the exclusions in your policy. Always review the policy details to understand exactly what is and isn't covered. Typically, insurance policies require evidence of forced entry for theft claims to be valid.

Value of your Equipment - get an accurate valuation of your equipment for insurance purposes. Keep receipts and take photos of all insured items. Accurate documentation can expedite claim processing and prevent overpaying for coverage or being underinsured in the event of a claim.