Public Liability Insurance for Dance Teachers

Cover against claims made against you in the event of any accidents you cause that result in property damage or personal injury.

Public Liability Insurance for Dance Teachers

Cover against claims made against you in the event of any accidents you cause that result in property damage or personal injury.

As a dance teacher you guide students through intricate moves, ensuring they find their rhythm and grace.

But with the physical nature of dance, there's always the potential for unexpected incidents.

Public Liability insurance for dance teachers provides cover so you can focus on teaching, knowing that you're protected in the event of an accident.

Shield icon

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Public liability insurance provides protection against claims made by students or third parties for injuries or property damage that might occur during your classes, workshops or performances.

It's designed to cover the legal and compensation costs that arise from such claims.

Why Dance Teachers Might Need Public Liability Insurance

While Public Liability insurance isn’t a legal requirement, dance teachers should consider protection against certain risks associated with their work. These risks include:

Purple tick shield icon

Physical activity

Dance involves intricate moves, leaps and turns. Despite your best efforts, accidents can happen. If a student gets injured during a class or a performance, you could be held liable.

Purple tick shield icon

Teaching in unfamiliar locations

Whether you're teaching in a dance studio, a community hall or a school, each venue comes with its own set of risks. From slippery floors to inadequate lighting, Public Liability insurance means you're covered against any accidents from potential hazards.

Purple tick shield icon

Hosting dance events

If you organise dance recitals, workshops or any other form of dance event, there's an increased risk of injuries or property damage. Public Liability insurance provides cover so you're shielded from potential claims arising from these events.

Purple tick shield icon

Equipment and props

Dance often involves the use of props or specific equipment. If these cause injury to a student or damage to a venue, you could face a claim.

Purple tick shield icon

Legal requirement for some venues

Many venues require dance teachers to have public liability insurance before renting out their space for classes or events, to make sure they have sufficient cover to pay for any damages that might be incurred.

Purple tick shield icon

Audience members

If you have an audience watching then they would count as a member of the public.  Public Liability insurance can therefore cover you against personal injury or property damage that might be caused to an audience member.

Why Choose Mode Insurance?

The world of dance is as unpredictable as it is beautiful.

At Mode Insurance, we understand the unique challenges dance teachers face.

Our Public Liability insurance is tailored to meet the specific needs of dance instructors, ensuring that every move, every class and every performance can be covered.

Insurance to suit you


Up to £50k equipment cover

Insure the tools of your trade, as well as hired-in equipment.

Project-by-project Public Liability insurance

Get PLI for £84 a year or choose a shorter term to suit you.


Be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance.

What Other Insurance Might A Dance Teacher Need?

As well as Public Liability insurance, dance teachers should also consider:

Equipment Insurance

Anything could happen to the equipment you use, leaving you unable to do your job. For example, the sound system you use to play music during your classes could be damaged, lost or stolen.

If you have any specialist equipment that is vital to your work, then Equipment insurance can provide peace of mind that you will be able to keep teaching if the worst were to happen.

At Mode Insurance, our equipment insurance starts from just £54 a year, including Insurance Premium Tax (IPT).

Employers’ Liability Insurance

If you employ anyone then you are legally required to have at least £5m of Employers’ Liability cover in place, but most insurers will provide £10m as standard.

This can protect against claims from employees related to injuries or illnesses sustained while working for you.

If you use volunteers to help with your classes, shows or productions, such as a relative of a member in the group, our Employers' Liability insurance includes volunteers within the definition of an employee so they are also covered.

Choose your cover and start your quote now


Public Liability insurance from £84 a year for £1m cover

Or choose your own cover limit of £2m, £3m or £5m.


Up to £50k all-risk technical and portable equipment cover

Covered in the UK & EU as standard or increase cover to worldwide.


Professional Indemnity - be covered for contract disputes

Protect your reputation with Professional Indemnity insurance with either a £100,000 or £250,000 limit.


Up to £50k cover for equipment that doesn’t leave your property

Protect the contents of your business and other technical equipment that doesn’t leave your property.


Employers’ Liability cover for up to 3 PAYE employees

Our Employers’ Liability cover provides £10,000,000 of cover.

Public Liability Insurance FAQs

Below we have listed the most common questions we get from self-employed creatives about Public Liability Insurance. For more information, read our guide: Public Liability Insurance: Everything You Need to Know

FAQs icon

Do I need Public Liability insurance?

Whether you need Public Liability insurance depends on the nature of your business. It's not a legal requirement, but it's particularly important if your business activities involve interaction with clients, customers or members of the public. This could be as simple as working from a coffee shop, all the way to working in a large stadium or event space.

FAQs icon

Do I need Public Liability insurance if I work from home?

Even if you work from home, Public Liability insurance can provide welcome peace of mind.

If clients or customers visit your home for business purposes, or if you visit their place of work, this insurance can protect you against any accidents or damages that may occur. A claim could be brought against you and your business when simply working from your local coffee shop.

FAQs icon

How much Public Liability insurance cover do I need?

The amount of coverage you need depends on your business type, size and the specific risks involved. Typically, businesses opt for cover ranging from £1 million to £5 million, but it's best to assess your individual business needs.

You may find a minimum coverage amount specified in a contract that you are looking to secure as many other businesses, venues or local authorities will stipulate the amount of Public Liability insurance you need.

FAQs icon

How to get Public Liability insurance?

With Mode Insurance you can get a quote and buy your cover online in a matter of minutes. Start your quote now.

FAQs icon

Is Public Liability insurance a legal requirement?

No, Public Liability insurance is not a legal requirement for most businesses in the UK. However, it is often recommended due to the financial protection it offers against claims from the public.

You may also find that Public Liability insurance is required by some clients, suppliers and partners before you work with them.

FAQs icon

Is Public Liability insurance tax deductible?

Yes, Public Liability insurance is typically tax deductible as a business expense. This means the cost can be offset against your business's taxable profits.

It is important to remember that most insurance policies are not subject to VAT as Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) is applied.

We recommend speaking to your accountant about this if you have more questions.

FAQs icon

Does Public Liability insurance cover damage to a client's property?

Yes, Public Liability insurance typically covers accidental damage to a client's property caused by your business activities, offering financial protection against such claims.

Some exclusions do apply so we always recommend you check your policy documents for more information.

FAQs icon

What is the difference between Public Liability and Professional Indemnity insurance?

Public Liability insurance covers injury or damage to third parties and their property, while Professional Indemnity insurance protects against claims of professional negligence or poor advice.

FAQs icon

Can I get Public Liability insurance for one day?

Yes, one day Public Liability insurance is becoming increasingly popular and most businesses can obtain cover specifically for one day. This is ideal for short-term events like workshops, pop-up shops or a shoot you are organising.

This is great for budgeting and charging your clients as you know exactly how much the insurance has cost for the specific job.

FAQs icon

Can you get Public Liability insurance for a month?

Yes, it is possible to get Public Liability insurance for one month if that is all you need cover for. However, at this length of time it’s also worth checking to see if it is more cost-effective to purchase a yearly policy – especially if you think you may need several temporary policies over the course of a year.

FAQs icon

What is the minimum Public Liability insurance in the UK?

In the UK there is no legally mandated minimum level for Public Liability insurance. Depending on where you work and if someone is asking for you to have insurance in place, £5,000,000 is usually a widely accepted amount.

Some large venues like sports stadiums, arenas, conference buildings and other large-scale venues may require you to have £10,000,000 of cover in place.

FAQs icon

What happens if I don't have Public Liability insurance?

Without Public Liability insurance, you could be financially responsible for any claims made against you for injuries or damages caused during your event or business activities.

A claim could be brought against you for compensation and the costs and expenses someone has incurred. This can lead to significant financial strain, especially if the claims are substantial.

FAQs icon

Is Public Liability insurance mandatory for events in the UK?

While not legally mandatory, many venues and organisations may require you to have public liability insurance to attend and work at the event, as it can protect against claims for injuries or damages occurring on the premises.